Gemix is an online video slot with a 7×7 grid layout and cluster pays. It was released by Play’n GO in 2014 when candy-matching mobile games were all the rage and, as its colorful vibrant design with gems indicates, it was clearly inspired by them. In 2021, Gemix 2 was released.
The slot was released with a varying RTP of 84.90% – 96.83% and a max win of 4513x total stake. Play’n GO have applied a gamified level-up approach here, with unique worlds ruled by different characters to be unlocked in addition to the meter that needs to be filled in order to activate bonus features as we’ve seen in their other grid slots.
How to Play
To get you started with Gemix, Play’n GO offer a betting range of fixed stake values between $0.5 and $100. There is also the Autoplay menu offering 10, 20, 50, 75, or 100 auto spins and options to set your own limits on the amount won or lost.
The paytable is colorful, to say the least. There are eight bright candies/gems, with the yellow star and red heart yielding the highest payouts at 1,000x and 500x total stake, respectively. There are three different wilds for the three different worlds and they replace all other symbols.
If you’ve played some of Play’n GO’s other grid slots like Reactoonz or Viking Runecraft, you’re familiar with the meters that are incorporated in these games; they are filled by consecutive winning clusters and unlock various features and awards. In Gemix, the meter is called Crystal Charge, and it is activated after winning on 20 symbols. When it fills up, it triggers one of four features:
- Chain Lightning – an electrical arc shoots up across the grid from two opposite corner symbols and zaps all symbols in its way.
- Light Beam – a symbol on the grid shoots vertical and horizontal light beams that transform the symbols they hit into different symbols.
- Crystal Warp – one symbol is randomly selected, and all its matches on the grid are warped to other symbols.
- Nova Blast – one symbol explodes, destroying and transforming adjacent symbols to then create symbol clusters.
After 40 winning symbols, the meter goes into Super Charge mode where a 3x multiplier is applied to all wins.
As we mentioned, the gameplay is based on levels, or worlds hosted by different characters similar to Candy Crush. To move to new worlds, you need to clear patterns that are highlighted on the grid. When a pattern is cleared, the World Bonus is awarded and you get to move to the next world, each with unique wilds and a different feature that is triggered at random.
- Miner’s World – up to ten lamp wild symbols may be added to the grid on non-winning rounds.
- Princess’ World – lollipop wilds appear on the grid from one corner to the other.
- Wizard’s World – up to eight book wilds can be added on non-winning rounds and remain on the grid, even if used, in order to complete a winning cluster.
Gemix is undoubtedly geared towards fans of mobile games who will feel right at home with the design of the grid, the colorful gems, and even the cascading reels. Still, it does offer a lot more than just design. The gameplay with levels and bonuses is any player’s motivation and there’s good payout potential, especially when playing at the highest setting of the RTP.